A beautiful smile is memorable. People remember the warmth of your smile, and it is what they picture when they think of you. However, gorgeous, pearly smiles take work to maintain. Proper nutrition and brushing habits are key, but sometimes cavities happen. The good news is there are many options to fix your cavities while still maintaining a natural looking smile. White composite fillings are an easy, cost-effective way to restore the luster and shine to your smile.
When you think of fillings, the old-school metal fillings your parents used to have may be the first thing to come to mind. Metal fillings are long-lasting and useful; however, some people have sensitivities to metal, and the obvious silver color alerts the world that you have issues with your teeth.
Composite fillings, by contrast, look like normal teeth. The composites are made of a resin that is a mixture of glass and plastic. Unlike metal fillings, composites do not require much of your natural tooth to be drilled in order to fill a cavity. Composites also bond directly to your tooth which helps to harden the tooth and prevent future issues.
Best of all, cavities are not the only use for a composite filling. Your dentist can repair chipped or discolored teeth using white composites as well which, in turn, ensures a natural, beautiful smile.
Benefits of White Composite Fillings
There are many benefits to opting for a composite filling. Here are some of the top reasons patients choose composite over metal:
- Composites are natural looking. Again, a composite filling blends in with the rest of your teeth. No one will be able to see that you’ve had any dental work done.
- They are versatile. Unlike metal fillings, composites have many uses. Your dentist can use composites to reshape teeth, improve discolorations or even fix chipped teeth.
- Composites preserve the natural structure. When you get a composite filling, the dentist only needs to remove the diseased part of the tooth to apply the resin. This means you keep more of your natural, healthy enamel and you can forgo more extensive drilling.
- They are safe for people with sensitivities to metal. Composites are bio-compatible which means they are not harmful to the tissue in your mouth. Metal fillings, while safe, do have trace amounts of mercury. Composites are a great option for people who may have a sensitivity to metal or prefer a biocompatible material.
- Composites lessen your chances of tooth sensitivity. Because the resin insulates your tooth, you are less likely to experience sensitivity than you are with traditional metal fillings. This means you won’t have extreme sensitivity to hot or cold.
Composite Fillings Cost
The cost of your white composite fillings depends on many factors. Placement, number of fillings needed, and your insurance coverage are all factors to take into consideration. The out of pocket cost of composite fillings can range anywhere from $90 to $250. If you have dental insurance, you will only be responsible for a copay depending on your plan and deductible.
Schedule an Appointment Today
At Nevada Sun Dental we use cutting edge materials to make natural looking composite fillings. Whether you need cavities filled, touch-ups to your tooth color or fixes to chipped teeth, the dentists at Nevada Sun Dental are experts in restoring smiles. Should you have questions about costs or the procedure, contact us today to schedule an appointment!